Jimmie Langill is the original veterinarian who opened Liesse Animal Clinic in 1950. We feel it is important to honor him for creating this pleasant caring facility where pets and people are always welcome.
Jimmie Langill was born in Ottawa, but the family moved to N.D.G. when he was a youngster. Although a great lover of sports, he also had always been attracted to animals, so he decided on a career as a veterinarian. With this in mind, he attended the Ontario Veterinary College, upon his discharge from the navy, and after four years of hard work and study, graduated in May 1950 as a Doctor of Veterinary Medicine.
After graduation, Dr. Langill returned to Montreal and the young doctor hunted high and low for an ideal spot to open the hospital of his dreams. Country and fresh surroundings seemed the logical place but the hospital had to be close to the city. Finally the couple hit upon a spot on Cote de Liesse road and decided it was just right, and so in June 1950, the Liesse Animal Hospital for Horses and Small Animals was opened.
Within a few years, Dr. Jim’s business began to flourish. He knew that he had to build a new modern veterinary hospital, for more than one veterinarian, with two examination rooms, a hospital treatment room, an animal ward, an isolation room, and a large sterile surgery. This building opened as a “state of the art veterinary hospital” in 1955. A separate boarding kennel was built as well, to separate the boarders from the sick, hospitalized patients.
Since our opening in 1950, we have employed many veterinarians, including Dr. Arscott, Dr. Urtnowski, Dr. Baron, Dr. Journet, Dr. Wong, Dr. Papineau-Couture, Dr. Sevigny, Dr. Baker, Dr. Foukal, Dr. Dorfman, Dr. Knopp, and then Dr. Bob Langill who graduated in 1986, and purchased the practice in 2014. Scroll down to learn a little more about Dr. Bob's story!